This information can be obtained by either visiting the web sites of the major monuments or by googling the term “tour operators” along with the name of the city.
At the visitor center, one can book half or full day tours. Generally speaking, the half day tours cover sightseeing highlights.
1. Mike's Garden Tours (tel./fax 09/846-5350;
2. Tamaki Hikoi (tel. 0800/282-552 in NZ) – walking tour of the Maori area.
3. Bush & Beach (tel. 09/837-4130)– coastal experience tour.
4. Potiki Adventures (tel. 0800/692-3836 in NZ). – specializes in Maori tours.
5. Fullers Auckland, Ferry Building, Quay Street (tel. 09/367-9111)- water tours.
6. The Pride of Auckland, at the National Maritime Museum, Quay Street (tel. 09/373-4557;) offers a dinner cruise.
7. Soren Larsen (tel. 0800/767-365 in NZ, or 09/817-8799;), for tall ship tours available December through February.
8. Sail New Zealand (tel. 0800/397-567 in NZ, or 09/359-5987;),
9. Island Escape Cruises (tel. 09/358-1717; ) for longer cruises.
This vivacious district should not be missed. The market sells squid and crabs in pails; chickens, pigeons, bread, cheese, and mangoes from the West Indies; salted fish from Portugal, lace, fabrics, and everything you can think of. Kensinton Avenue is a gem of a place too with a wealth of vintage clothing stores, shops selling knickknacks and a delicious global cheese shop. Timings: Mon-Sat...
The United Center is hallowed ground for basketball fans. It was here that the legendary Michael Jordan finished his career. He actually began his career and accomplished his first three-peat across the street at the beloved Chicago Stadium, which has since been demolished. The United Center opened in 1994, just in time for the Bulls' second three-peat. It is the largest ar...
This is arguable the most famous of Bangkok's attractions. The Grand Palace which once housed the Thai Royal Family is a sight to behold. Built by King Rama i in 1782 when Bangkok became the capital, there is a dress code to be observed when visiting this place and visitors are required to have their legs and arms covered. King Rama's son's tutor Anna [famed by the film The King and I] lived over ...
A three-roof building that according to local lore was constructed in the 12th century from the wood of a single sal tree. It was first used as a community centre for the congregation of the people before major events. It was later converted into a temple dedicated to Gorakhnath a 13th century abstinent who was linked to the royal family. Currently the building houses an image of a god which is in...