One of the most known bridges of Venice is the Bridge of Sighs. Made of white limestone, this enclosed bridge has windows with stone bars. It runs over the Rio di Palazzo and links the old prisons with the Doge's Palace. The bridge was built in 1602 and was designed by Antoni Contino. It was through this bridge that prisoners were taken to their cells and the view from here was the last sight of Venice the convicts saw before confinement. The bridge was given its name by Lord Byron in the 19th century, because of the common notion that prisoners would sigh at the final view of beautiful city seen through the windows before being imprisoned.
Hours Daily 9am-5pm (until 7pm Apr-Oct; ticket office closes 1 hr. earlier)
Location San Marco, Piazza San Marco
Prices Admission only on San Marco cumulative ticket