Locally called San Zanipolo, this Dominican church is very large and contains valuable works of art. Near the side entrance is a 15th-century stained-glass window in which brilliant colors have been used to give life to the beautiful drawings by Bartolomeo Vivarini and Gerolamo Mocetto. After San Marco, this is the second official church of the Italy and is the Venetian conterpart of London's Westminster Abbey as it has several important people buried here, including 25 doges. Among the many artistic treasures here is a polyptych (painted panels) by Giovanni Bellini, Christ Carrying the Cross by Alvise Vivarini and Charity of St. Antonino by Lorenzo Lotto. Also a must see is the Cappella del Rosario (Rosary Chapel), near the left transept of the church which was built in the 16th century in remembrance of the victory of Lepanto in 1571, in western Greece, when Venice defeated the Turkish Navy. The chapel was restored in early 20th century after being destroyed in 1867. It was decorated with the beautiful Veronese ceiling paintings including other works of art given by fellow churches. One must also visit the Pietro Mocenigo tomb, a monument built by Pietro Lombardo and his sons located on the right of the main entrance.
Address: Campo dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo, Castello, Venice
Cost: EUR 2.50
Open: Mon.-Sat. 9:30-6:30, Sun. noon-5:30