This information can be obtained by either visiting the web sites of the major monuments or by googling the term “tour operators” along with the name of the city.
At the visitor center, one can book half or full day tours. Generally speaking, the half day tours cover sightseeing highlights.
1. Mike's Garden Tours (tel./fax 09/846-5350;
2. Tamaki Hikoi (tel. 0800/282-552 in NZ) – walking tour of the Maori area.
3. Bush & Beach (tel. 09/837-4130)– coastal experience tour.
4. Potiki Adventures (tel. 0800/692-3836 in NZ). – specializes in Maori tours.
5. Fullers Auckland, Ferry Building, Quay Street (tel. 09/367-9111)- water tours.
6. The Pride of Auckland, at the National Maritime Museum, Quay Street (tel. 09/373-4557;) offers a dinner cruise.
7. Soren Larsen (tel. 0800/767-365 in NZ, or 09/817-8799;), for tall ship tours available December through February.
8. Sail New Zealand (tel. 0800/397-567 in NZ, or 09/359-5987;),
9. Island Escape Cruises (tel. 09/358-1717; ) for longer cruises.
To the right of the Ho Chi Minh Museum, near Ba Dinh Square, is the unique One-Pillar Pagoda - also known as Lien Phai Pagoda, or the Pagoda of the Lotus Sect - a wooden structure built in 1049 that sits on stilts over a lake. The pagoda is a miniature reproduction of the original temple, which was said to represent a lotus emerging from the water. Prayers offered here are said to bring fertility ...
The Lincoln Park Zoo was founded in 1868 and is one of the oldest zoos in America. Its beginnings were humble enough, with a donation of swans from New York's Central Park. The animal collection has expanded slowly over time. The Lion House was built in 1912 and the Monkey House in 1927. Today the zoo is home to around 1,250 animals. The Kovler Lion House is a bit of a...
The National Museum of China is at the tail end of a renovation which will modernize the museum and more than triple its exhibition space. The world’s largest collection of Chinese antiquities is housed here. The museum covers Chinese history up until the end of the end of the Qing Dynasty. The oldest item on display is the remains of Yuanmou Man, dating back 1.7 million years. ...
According to tradition, this is a Mosque situated on the Al Haram street, where once the Holy Prophet (SAW) was reciting the Holy Qura'an. A group of Jinn passing by heard the recitation and stopped to hear more. Opens only at prayer times. ...