The Ottoman Clock Tower was built on the grounds of the Grand Serail in 1897. It marked the 10th anniversary of Sultan Abdul Hamid II’s coronation. The need was felt for a public clock that would indicate the Muslim prayer timings. The clock that stands 25 meters tall was the tallest structure in Beirut at the time of its completion. The Clock Tower houses a huge bell weighing 300 kgs on its third floor. A set of 125 cast iron steps inside the tower’s shaft lead up to this bell. Four miniature neo-orientalist style balconies adorn this floor. Above these balconies are four large clock faces especially imported by the Ottoman embassy from France.