This information can be obtained by either visiting the web sites of the major monuments or by googling the term “tour operators” along with the name of the city.
At the visitor center, one can book half or full day tours. Generally speaking, the half day tours cover sightseeing highlights.
1. Mike's Garden Tours (tel./fax 09/846-5350;
2. Tamaki Hikoi (tel. 0800/282-552 in NZ) – walking tour of the Maori area.
3. Bush & Beach (tel. 09/837-4130)– coastal experience tour.
4. Potiki Adventures (tel. 0800/692-3836 in NZ). – specializes in Maori tours.
5. Fullers Auckland, Ferry Building, Quay Street (tel. 09/367-9111)- water tours.
6. The Pride of Auckland, at the National Maritime Museum, Quay Street (tel. 09/373-4557;) offers a dinner cruise.
7. Soren Larsen (tel. 0800/767-365 in NZ, or 09/817-8799;), for tall ship tours available December through February.
8. Sail New Zealand (tel. 0800/397-567 in NZ, or 09/359-5987;),
9. Island Escape Cruises (tel. 09/358-1717; ) for longer cruises.
This is located right next to the Cathedral of the Annunciation. It is famous for being climbed up by czars newly coroneted. Historically this staircase is also important since it was from these that Peter the Great witnessed his relatives being impaled during an uprising. ...
Founded in 1998, this is a comprehensive museum dedicated to art in the Islamic world. It is one of just a few museums dedicated solely to Islamic art, and perhaps the best. The building itself is elegantly designed and decorated. There are five different domes. In the entrance hall is an inverted dome, adorned with arabesque and gilded cartouches. While the focus is on Malaysia, there ...
60 km northwest of Ho Chi Minh City is the Great Temple or Holy See of the Cao Dai religious sect, a uniquely Vietnamese religion that combines aspects of Buddihism, Taois, Confucianism and Catholicism and regards Buddha, Confucius, Jesus, Muhammad, Julius Caesar, Victor Hugo, Joan of Arc and Sun Yat-Sen as some of its saints. The temple was built between 1933 and 1955 and is colorfully and extrav...
A very unique museum of its kind, the award-winning Museum for Communication exhibits the various kinds of communications present in today’s world and how each evolved into its current form. The importance of communication and its history is a major field of study for specialists so this museum holds special importance in the academic arena. As a practical display, old models of fax machines, phon...