Dating back to the Portuguese occupation of this area in the mid 1600s, the castle was built from 1669 to 1679. Construction lasted about 13 years and the product was a massive pentagonal structure, a classic example of Portuguese defense measures. The construction material comprised of slate quarried from Robben Island but some features are distinctly European such as the bell at the entrance which came from Amsterdam. The Ramparts of the now headquarters of the South African Defense Force are swarming with visitors from the world over. The military museum is interesting especially for those curious about European colonization of this part of the world. The William Fehr Collection is even more spectacular and is home to a number of paintings and sketches depicting the transformation of this area under the supervision of the Portuguese. The paintings generally shed light on life under colonization.
Timings: Daily 9 A.M- 3 30 P.M
Admission: R 20 [Adults], R 10 [Children]
Address: Corner of Streets Buitankant and Strand