The Piazza del Popolo is one of the most famous squares in Rome. In modern Italian, it means ‘piazza of the people’. Before the age of railroads, it formed the main entrance to the city for pilgrims and travelers arriving from the north on the Via Flaminia. This large square was originally the site for festivals .It was also for centuries the place for public execution. The last execution took place in 1826.To the north of the piazza stand the Porta del Popolo and the ancient church of Santa Maria del Popolo.The Porta del Popolo was designed by Bernini and it was constructed in stone. There is an Egyptian obelisk in the center of the square. This marks the ‘Tridente’,the gathering point of three famous streets that begin in the square; Via del Corso, Via del Babuino and Via di Ripetta. This obelisk is a granite monolith built in Egypt during the rule of King Ramses II and brought to Rome by Emperor Augustus. At one end of the Piazza are two identical churches; Santa Maria di Montesanto and Santa Maria di Miracoli.
Address: At the northern end of Via del Corso.